Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Texas Woman Says Waco Police Used Excessive Force

One Central Texas woman says she feels Waco Police were putting on a show and using excessive force when they used a Taser on her brother-in-law last week.

Waco resident Jessica Smith says her brother-in-law, Brent Smith, was stunned and arrested by police at Cricket's Bar and Grill last week after he confronted another patron who publicly molested her.

“The guy walked by and squeezed my breast and I wasn't the only one who felt it and saw it," Smith told News 10.

Cell phone video shows a man being stunned with a Taser and then taken into police custody inside the doorway of the popular downtown pub.

“We thought the police were there to help us,” Smith said “I was so relieved when we heard police were coming because maybe somebody would listen to us.”

But Waco Police Sgt Melvin Roseborough says there is more to the story than what is shown by the dark, shaky video.

“Whenever the officer tried to handcuff this individual, he got one handcuff on,” Roseborough said.

The man in the video then pulled away from the police officer, Roseborough told News 10, and the handcuff became a weapon.

The officers responded in a manner to keep anyone from getting hurt in that situation, Roseborough said.

“I don’t feel my brother-in-law deserves this at all,” says Smith.

Brent Smith agreed, “My civil rights were violated by the city in which I pay my bills and that that’s what bothers me.”

Roseborough says an entire division exists within the Waco Police Department to hold officers accountable by listening to complaints.

Waco Police say, however, that no complaints have been filed in connection with the incident.

No comments: