Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Officer Rhashim Campbell Accused of Using Excessive Force Faces Judge

A Hartford police officer, accused of using excessive force against a suspect, faced a judge Tuesday morning.

Rhashim Campbell's attorney, Salvatore Bonanno, wants to preserve any recordings involving his client.

Bonanno said, "I'm a little bit in the dark because I don't know what the video shows yet. I'm certain I'll have an opportunity to review that once I have my own copy."

Campbell is accused, along with now-retired Officer Kent Lee, of assaulting 41-year-old Michael Stewart of Long Island N.Y., in the early-morning hours after Halloween.

Campbell, not Lee, was arrested on charges including assault and fabricating physical evidence, a felony.

In the police report Campbell filed on the incident, he said Stewart struck him in the head, bit his finger, and Lee had to wrestle Stewart to a bench.

Campbell has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the case. He is due back in court on Feb. 2.

No comments: