Monday, June 22, 2009

Lafayette Police Investigating Complaint of Police Brutality

Lafayette Police are investigating complaints of police brutality. The investigation stems from an arrest made early Sunday morning, near the intersection of Jefferson Street and Garfield Street. The man arrested, who KATC is not identifying, says just after 2 a.m. became involved in an alcohol-fueled fight, which police tried to break up.

"One of the cops came from behind, put me in a bear hug and I guess when I turned around, I thought he was one of them, so I accidentally hit him and I took off running," the man said.

Police followed and arrested him on charges of simple battery on a police officer, resisting arrest and public intoxication.

"Once they got me, they pepper sprayed me, threw me on the ground, and I don't remember much after that because of the pepper spray," the man said.

Regina Toce and her son Fabio witnessed the arrest, they say police crossed the line.

"It was horrible, it was a horrible scene, one that I'll never forget," said Regina. She and her son have also filed a complaint against the department. They've also set up a facebook page in support of the man who was arrested.

Meantime Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft says as with any complaint of misconduct, his department is investigating.

"We have initiated an internal affairs investigation regarding that incident to determine if our officers violated any departmental policies or procedures, or if in fact the force they used was excessive," said Craft.
_________________
http://www.theadvertiser.com/section/NEWSFRONT2

No comments: