Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Barry Carpenter Charged with Breaking Into Sarah Jessica Parker's House


A police chief facing charges over a burglary at the home of the surrogate mother to Sarah Jessica Parker's twins has been put on leave.

The chief suspect in the surrogate mother's house burglary is no longer the chief of police in Martins Ferry. At least not for a while.

Barry Carpenter was notified in a letter from the mayor. He is indefinitely suspended.

The Ohio Valley was waiting for this decision, that was in the hands of one man, Martins Ferry Mayor Phil Wallace.

"The decision I made, it was a tough one," said Mayor Wallace. "I stayed up real late last night to make it. And I notified the chief about 2:45 today."

He suspended the 32-year-old police chief indefinitely, without pay. The mayor declined to discuss what led him to that decision.

As for Martins Ferry, he says the scandal dubbed "surro-gate" has put the city in the national spotlight, and not in a good way.

"I know what effect it's had on me," said Mayor Wallace. "On the city, I'm sure there are those out there who like that glory. I'm not a glory-seeker and I don't think this city is a glory-seeking city. We really wish it would have happened somewhere else but unfortunately it happened here and we've got to deal with it."

Overall, he says it's been a painful chapter in the city's history.

"It hurts everybody," the mayor said. "I mean, Chief Carpenter is a really nice guy. For something like this to pop up is hard to deal with."

Lt. Phil Hartman, the department's highest-ranking officer, is at the helm of the police department at this time.

Mayor Wallace says he plans to appoint an interim chief within a week.

No comments: