A policeman is being sought after he allegedly shot and killed four people in KwaZulu Natal.
Police Superintendent Vincent Mdunge on Sunday said the sergeant, who is in his 40s, had been off-duty at the time of the shooting.
"The man, who is based at Hillcrest police station, went to a residence at Shongweni, just outside Hillcrest, on Saturday.
"He called out an occupant of the house. Other people in the house became suspicious and went outside to see what the policeman wanted. The officer then opened fire on the group. All the occupants of the house were unarmed."
Three people died at the scene. A fourth person died in hospital on Sunday and a fifth has been treated and discharged.
Mdunge said the police were trying to establish the motive for the shootings.
"There is no indication of what led to the attack. Police are investigating four charges of murder and one charge of attempted murder."
Mdunge said investigators wanted the man to surrender to the police.
"We are calling for this officer to take responsibility and come forward."
He added that people who know of the officer's whereabouts should inform the police immediately.
This article was originally published on page 2 of The Star on November 02, 2008