Friday, February 06, 2009

Judge James Heath Begged Officers Not to Arrest him for Drunk Driving

LEBANON, Ohio

A Warren County judge accused of drunken driving berated the state trooper who pulled him over, according to video footage shot by police.

The arrest took place in October, but recently released videotape showed Common Pleas Court Judge James Heath urging the trooper not to arrest him.

The state trooper said he spotted Heath swerving as he drove on Locust Street in Wilmington, and authorities also said the judge ran a stoplight.

Heath told police that side effects from chemotherapy treatment had killed nerve endings in his hands and impaired his vision.

The trooper asked the judge if the treatments also affected the way he walked and stood.

“Yeah, big time,” Heath said.

The judge admitted to drinking alcohol, but denied that he was intoxicated.

“I had like two glasses of wine, a long time ago, a long time ago,” Heath told the trooper.

The trooper administered a field sobriety test to Heath, who begged the officer not to arrest him.

“I'm a judge,” Heath said. “I don't want to go through with all this. I don't want to go through the whole thing. We work with your court, too.”

Heath continued pleading with the trooper.

“Please don't do this,” Heath said. “Don't do this. It will ruin my career. It will ruin yours.”

The trooper told Heath that he must perform his job duties and asked the judge to be understanding.

“I understand, but I also understand that I work nonstop with you guys,” Heath said. “The highway patrol down there, they come to my house 24-7. I am the judge they always come to. I'm the guy they come to.”

The trooper asked Heath to stop, but the judge cut him off.

“I’m not ‘Mister’ Heath,” he said. “I’m Judge Heath.”

The judge was charged with driving under the influence, but he later pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of reckless operation.

Video: http://www.wlwt.com/video/18660345/index.html

3 comments:

newgrams04 said...

I knew Heath would show his true colors eventually, He has used his position to intimadate and bully to many people. He thinks he is above anyone that doesn't have a position of importance. Now maybe we can get some one in here to investagate all of Warren county's little dirties. and believe me,there is a lot. Watch out you "good ol boys" We are tired of being treated unfairly by you guys. And by the way, Mr. Heath is NOT a nice guy

Anonymous said...

Wonder what became of this case, did it get swept under the rug?

Anonymous said...

After a little research I see that he is still on the bench, talk about calling the kettle black

http://www.western-star.com/news/crime/warren-county-fugitive-caught-after-more-than-6-years-1350294.html