Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wife of Chief Ty Morrow Speaks Out About Domestic Disturbance

The wife of Bryan Police Chief Ty Morrow is speaking out on a weekend domestic disturbance between the couple.

Cindy Morrow says she was intoxicated and doesn't remember much of the evening. She says she and her husband had gotten into an argument, but she doesn't recall making the accusations that came to light in a police report.

Among those allegations was a February incident where she said Morrow broke her nose and gave her a black eye. Wednesday, Cindy Morrow said her nose was never confirmed broken and the black eye happened during sex. She also said her husband had never abused her or touched her in a negative way.

Chief Morrow summoned police to his home early Sunday morning where he admitted to handcuffing his wife Cindy following a physical altercation.

He remains on administrative leave from the department pending results of an investigation into the incident.

THE FOLLOWING IS A LETTER SUBMITTED BY CINDY MORROW:

November 26, 2008,
To Managers and Editors of the Local Media:

I want to add my comments to the local story of Domestic Violence that you are running on my husband and me. It is most unfortunate that a very private matter has become the subject to such public scrutiny and ridicule, because of my husband’s position as the Chief of Police. My husband and I are embarrassed and ashamed of our actions, but insist that they are private matters that must be resolved between us.

I am astonished but yet not surprised that a police department employee would choose to release a confidential police report that had not yet been completely investigated for validity and that KBTX would choose to accept and release this document without verifying its truth. I am even more astonished by the fact that both you and KBTX reported in your news reports that I couldn’t be reached for comments on your stories. This statement is not true. No one from your news organizations ever attempted to contact me.

I want to offer the following statement regarding the incident which occurred on November 22 and into the early hours of November 23, 2008. My husband and I attended a Charity event at the Hilton Hotel. My husband was working the event and had to be there earlier than myself. Because of this, we drove separate vehicles. During the event I consumed a large quantity of alcohol. It is unclear to me how I got home or why my husband and I argued.

Once we reached our home, this argument resulted in a physical confrontation. I don’t remember much about the argument due to my extremely intoxicated state. This is very embarrassing for me to say the least. What I do remember is hitting my husband repeatedly and at some point him restraining me by placing handcuffs on me. My husband called my personal friend to come attend to me.

Upon this friends arrival my husband released me from my handcuffs. I was still in a very agitated and continued to yell. I did not know my husband had called the police until I was seated in my kitchen. The officer then interviewed me. While being interviewed by the police officer, I am told I made several allegations of past abuse to include a broken nose and blackened eyes. I am certain now, this was because I was very angry at being handcuffed. In all honesty, I don’t recall the statements I made to the police and these allegations are completely untrue.

I don’t remember much about the confrontations that took place on November 22 - 23, 2008. What I do remember is that I was very intoxicated. In an intoxicated state, I made statements to the police that were not true.

Since this event, I have been interviewed by no less than three law enforcement officials. I have stated on the police record, and I am now stating it publicly to you, that my husband is not abusive and has never abused me.

I want to close by stating that my husband and I are Christians, we are parents, role model’s to at risk children from our community and consummate professionals. This was not appropriate behavior on our part. However, I would hope that you never lose site of the fact that my husband and I are human beings and as such we have problems like everyone else. These problems are private matters that do not deserve to be publicly displayed. I am sure you wouldn’t display your personal issues in the manner in which you have displayed mine.

No comments: