Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ex-Detective Thomas Sadler Preparing for Trial


A former Sheriff's deputy is preparing for his trial on charges of sexually assaulting a prostitute.

Ex-detective Thomas Sadler was expected by many to enter a plea Monday, but instead he told 10News he would take his chances with a jury.

Sadler, a 23-year veteran of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, has been on administrative leave without pay following his arrest last July.

He was charged with five felonies stemming from an incident in February 2008 in which he was accused of forcing a prostitute into his unmarked department vehicle and then forcefully fondling her.

Sadler said he is ready to go to trial and tell his side of the story.

"I feel that I'm innocent in this case. I believe a lot of this is because I do work in law enforcement and they were overzealous in their prosecution. I want my day in court, I want to get my side out there. I believe a jury will hear the case openly and honestly and make a decision based on what they believe is the truth," said Sadler.

The jury will hear Sadler's side of the story when the case goes to trial on July 23.

If convicted, he could serve 8 years in prison.
____________________________
Previous Post: http://whathappenedtoprotectandserve.blogspot.com/2008/08/deputy-accused-of-sexual-assault.html

http://whathappenedtoprotectandserve.blogspot.com/2008/08/arraignment-for-officer-accused-of.html

http://whathappenedtoprotectandserve.blogspot.com/2008/08/detective-fondles-prostitute-while-on.html

No comments: