Friday, April 10, 2009

Lansing Officer Accused of Using Excessive Force

A Lansing police officer is accused of using excessive force. A Lansing couple filed a complaint with the police department about an incident that happened Sunday at the Richwood apartment complex in Lansing. Raymond Gee is a 62-year-old man who lives in the apartment complex. He says he was sitting Sunday when a police officer asked him to move his car.

I said yeah as soon as my friend comes out.

He says the officer asked him again, and again, but he refused to move, and he says that's when the officer crossed the line.

Raymond Gee, filed a complaint against officer: "Next thing I'm getting hit in the neck and then next thing I turn my head towards him I get sprayed."

So Raymond's wife, Maryann, says she came outside and started arguing with the officer.

Maryann Gee, filed a complaint against officer: "I started walking away, he comes behind me and grabs me, pulls me down to the ground, puts the cuffs on me and he maced me."

Noel Garcia, Lansing Police Department: "The officer struggled in trying to get both of the Gees under arrest. Pepper spray was used and a taser was deployed."

Police say the officer reported the need to use force during the arrest, but the Gees say he went too far. Maryann's arm is in a sling and Raymond has cuts on his wrist and face. They filed a complaint with the Lansing Police Department. The department is investigating the incident.

Noel Garcia: "That process is interviewing a number of people that were witnesses."

We spoke to two people who say they saw everything, but tell different stories.

Doris Williams, witness: "I think he acted appropriately and I think he done his job to the best of his ability."

David Bosse, witness: "The cop started it. I mean, Raymond didn't do nothing."

So who was in the wrong? It's now up to those investigating the incident to decide. The Gees are both charged with resisting arrest and obstructing an officer. They will be back in court next week.
___________________

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/42781942.html

No comments: