Friday, April 17, 2009

Former Officer Nicholas Valastro Pleads Guilty to Stealing

Three days after his 28th birthday, Nicholas Valastro admitted in Orange County Court Thursday that he threw away his law-enforcement career over some parts for a truck.

The former Montgomery town police officer pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of official misconduct, admitting that while he was on duty Oct. 28, he acted as a lookout while Montgomery Officer Clifford Barber III and then-Assistant Maybrook Fire Chief Bryan Dunn tried to steal panels for the bed of a Chevy Avalanche from Midway Auto Sales on Route 17K in Montgomery.

"I was aware they were going to attempt to steal property," Valastro told Judge Jeffrey G. Berry. "I did nothing about it."

Valastro became the third person, and the second cop, to plead guilty to playing a role in what prosecutors have described in court papers as a series of massive thefts orchestrated by Barber, who's been suspended from the town police department since he was arrested in early November.

Valastro resigned last month, after he was implicated during court proceedings.

Barber, Dunn and Kevin Burchell were all accused of taking part in a conspiracy to loot two Orange County Wal-Mart stores of up to $1 million dollars worth of merchandise, some of which was sold on eBay. Dunn and Burchell have both pleaded guilty, and Burchell's arrest cost him his job as a Tuxedo Park police officer.

No one was charged in connection with the incident that Valastro described.

Dunn and Burchell are awaiting sentencing.

Valastro will be sentenced on June 24. In return for his guilty plea, he faces a maximum of six months in jail and five years' probation. His lawyer, Ben Greenwald, said that Valastro won't be able to work again in law enforcement.

Barber's lawyer, Stewart Rosenwasser, said Thursday that he's still discussing a possible plea bargain with prosecutors, who are seeking a sentence of 31/3 to 10 years in state prison. Judge Robert Freehill has indicated he'd sentence Barber to 11/3 to four years. Barber faces seven felony charges.

Barber is due back in court on April 29. That's the same day that Dunn, his admitted co-conspirator, will be sentenced for grand larceny and conspiracy.
-----------------------------------------
http://www.recordonline.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Back in 2007, I live in Shoddy Hollow Trailer park in Montgomery. I worked at Midway Auto sales as a salesperson. My truck payments were behind. I thought I owed 2 months. It was 3. So, repo man came to take my truck at Midway Auto. I denied being the owner or the truck and the Town of Montgomery Police were called. Who shoes up? Valastro. He starts asking about my insurance card which happened to be at my desk. Anyway. 1 week later I go outside to go to work. My truck is gone. I called repo company. They said no. Call police. I call police. Who shows up. Valastro. Now they ask me to come to police station. I'm in there 3 hours. Valastro accused me of ditching my truck so I would have to make payments. Long story short. Police found my truck that day. And it was at a body shop on 208. They claimed some kids,stole it. I know in my heart that scum bag took it. The 4 alluminum tires were off as well as the tailgate. I hope he,rots in hell