Saturday, March 21, 2009

Jeremy Stevens Claims Police Brutality

A case of mistaken identity allegedly turns into a brutal scene that leaves two young Opelousas men battered and members of OPD being investigated.

Eighteen year old Jeremy Stevens says he was shocked when six members of the Opelousas Police Department Crime Suppression Team stormed into this home in Opelousas Tuesday.

"They were looking for someone they thought ran in the house. All the cops ran in the house. We all ran. I ran in the closet. They found me in the closet put me in handcuffs and started beating me."

Stevens says he and his friend ran from police and were subsequently beaten.

"They'll hold me. One would hit me in my ribs and the other throw CD cases at my face, kicking, scratching in my face, my sides are bruised, sore. I had to miss a couple days of work."

Stevens says after the officers left without making any arrests, he called his grandmother and mother who took him to the hospital.

Morris filed a complaint with the Opelousas Police Department. Chief Perry Gallow says the incident is under investigation

"All of that are just accusations at this point and we're going to get to the bottom of the incident and make sure our officers we're just in what they were doing" says Gallow.

Christy Morris says her son is not the only victim of Opelousas Police brutality.

"Any children that's getting harassed and beat, need to come forward. Because if they don't it's gonna keep going on. This is my child. I love my child and I will do something about it. I'm doing something about it."

Christy Morris says she has not heard back from Chief Gallow since filing the report on Wednesday.

Morris says she will follow up with the Chief on Monday and will not settle for anything less than a full-fledged investigation.

No comments: