Monday, March 23, 2009

Hutchinson Police Being Investigated for Police Brutality

Allegations of police brutality lead to an investigation of the Hutchinson Police Department.

A Hutch man says he was kicked several times by an officer during an arrest. He's hoping dash cam video of the incident leads to disciplinary action.

Tony White re-enacts his arrest by Hutchinson Police after he crashed his motorcycle last year. White admits he was drunk. His blood alcohol level was .33 and he pled guilty to DUI. That's not what he's disputing. He says the officers used unnecessary force.

"The last thing I remember is an officer saying, 'choke him out, choke him out', and then I passed out," said White.

This is what the incident looks like on police dash cam video. White is in the garage on the left.


"I'm already down and out. What am I going to do? I'm not fighting back," he said.

White admits his allegations are hard to see on tape. He says one of the officers continually kicks him. Despite being intoxicated, he says he was not resisting arrest, but there's no sound on the tape to back that up. What you can see are the injuries to his face when officers lead him out of the garage to the patrol cars. White says he had a deep cut over his eye and bruising on his side.

White wants an investigation into the incident. Hutch Police say they've done a preliminary investigation and have turned it over to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

In the mean time, White says he'll keep pushing until someone admits wrong doing.

"I knew I screwed up. I'm a man. I can take it," said White. "I did my time. I paid my fines. I think they need to do the same before they hurt anyone else."

White is looking for an attorney to take his case but so far hasn't been able to get one. He believes no one will represent him out of fear of taking on a police department. Other attorneys have said no because they say the video is inconclusive.

___________

http://www.kansascw.com

No comments: