Thursday, December 11, 2008

Retired Officer Janine Gebhardt Arrested for Stealing from Kohls

CONCORD, N.C.

A retired Concord police officer is accused of stealing $900 worth of clothing and jewelry from a Kohl's department store.

She said she is disgraced by what she did and doesn't expect any special treatment from the justice system.

Remorseful Janine Gebhardt said, "In a million years I would never have thought I'd have done something like this."

Police say Gebhardt walked into Kohl's with an empty handbag. But when she paid for a few items and left the store, that handbag was then bulging.

"I’m willing to admit that I did something wrong," Gebhardt said.

When she got back to her car, she explains that a loss prevention officer asked to see her handbag.

"I said, 'No, you have no right. Why do you want to see my pocket book?' And we started fighting over it," she said.

After a short scuffle, Gebhardt says she pulled out her retired Concord Police Department badge.

"I said, 'No, don't. I'm a retired police officer. I'm not going to cause you any more problems, I promise,'" Gebhardt said.

In her handbag, police found $900 worth of stolen watches, clothing, and earrings. She was arrested and charged with larceny and assault.

She says she has prayed for forgiveness ever since.

"I've just disgraced myself ... my family, the police department, the whole police profession," Gebhardt said.

Officers with the Concord Police Department say Gebhardt was allowed to keep her badge when she retired several years ago. They say that is a fairly common practice among departments.

Gebhardt says she wishes she never showed the badge that day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karma is a B**** !! Janine, hopefully this is your first crop, in regards to "you reap what you sow". The lies and BS you spewed while a Concord officer is coming back to haunt you. Your true colors are beginning to shine! I wonder what you will talk about at your secret meetings with Rummage this time.....hmmmmmm.