Thursday, July 17, 2008

Probation Officer David Williams Accused of Harassing Client

COEUR D'ALENE

He's supposed to keep her on the right side of the law, but a North Idaho woman says her probation officer is harassing her instead.

Wanda Arrington says David Williams left drunk voice messages on her phone and tried to have inappropriate conversations with her.

The 44-year-old Coeur d'Alene woman says she received the disturbing phone calls last Thursday. Now, she wants to make sure other women aren't harrassed.

Arrington is trying to stay out of trouble. She's on probation after being charged with multiple DUIs.

"I was asleep Thursday and I heard my phone ringing at 2:26 in the morning," she says. "I got up and answered it and it was my probation officer."

But now she says the man in charge of keeping her on track abused his power. She says Williams tried having inappropriate conversations, accused her of violating her probation, and threatened to arrest her.

"When I told him I was going to put my jail clothes on, 'cause you can wear white, he wanted to know what color my panties were," says Arrington, "and he wanted to know and as soon as he found out my fiance was there, he wanted to know if he was naked."

Not only did Arrington feel her probation officer's comments were offensive, she says Williams left over a half dozen messages for her in a two-hour period. Some sounded drunk.

One saved message from 2:07 a.m. Thursday says, "Yes, Wanda, I received a call (hiccup) not so long ago from your phone, give me a call back."

The Idaho Department of Corrections declined an interview request for an on-camera interview, but officials did say the allegations of misconduct against Williams are being investigated and that he was put on paid administrative leave.

"If we violated, we have a drink, we go to jail for discrecianary time," Arrington says. "How come he can get drunk and harrass us on the phone?"

Idaho DOC officials say Williams has been a probation officer for 16 years and this is the first complaint filed against him by an offender. But court documents show williams was charged with stalking his ex-wife back in 2007.

Arrington wants make sure there aren't other victims.

"Not all probation officers are like that," she says. "I do believe that and there's going to be good and bad in everyone. I just want to make sure he didn't wrong someone that didn't deserve it."

The Department of Corrections expects to wrap up their investigation by next week.

No comments: